Here is the answer to the questions posted last week. Please let me know if you have additional concerns by commenting.
1. In fluid mechanics, it is the ratio of the area of the vena contracta to the area of the smaller pipe.
Answer: A. Contraction coefficient
2. When the Reynolds number of a fluid flow is 3500, the flow is…
Answer: C. Intermediate between turbulent or laminar (corrected)
3. What will happen if the pressure of water flowing in a pipe dropped below its vapor pressure?
Answer: C. bubbles will form inside the pipe
4. It is the common name for the rattling noise heard inside the pipe as a result the instantaneous rise in the fluid pressure.
Answer: C. Water hammer
5. It is flow pattern where a fluid flows in concentric circles with no radial flow.
Answer: B. Vortex
6. In an open channel flow (open channel refers to flows with free surface), what is the optimum channel shape for maximum flow rate?
Answer: C. Semi-circular
7. Which factor(s) affects the flow regime (laminar or turbulent) of a fluid in a pipe?
Answer: D. Both a and b
8. The greatest contributor to the head losses in pipes is…
Answer: C. Length of pipe
9. What will happen to the buoyant force if the density of the liquid is decreased?
Answer: B. decrease
10. For a partially immersed body, the point at which the line of action of the buoyancy force cuts the vertical centre line of the floating body in the displaced position is known as the…
Answer: B. metacenter