Below are set of questions taken from a Mechanical Engineering handbook under the topic fluid mechanics.
Choose the BEST answer.
1. In fluid mechanics, it is the ratio of the area of the vena contracta to the area of the smaller pipe.
a. Contraction coefficient
b. Friction coefficient
c. Expansion coefficient
d. Reynolds’ Number
2. When the Reynolds number of a fluid flow is 3500, the flow is…
c. Intermediate between turbulent or laminar
d. There’s is no fluid flow due to very high viscosity
3. What will happen if the pressure of water flowing in a pipe dropped below its vapor pressure?
a. Water hammer will occur
b. Water will stop flowing
c. bubbles will form inside the pipe
d. Nothing will happen
4. It is the common name for the rattling noise heard inside the pipe as a result the instantaneous rise in the fluid pressure.
c. Water hammer
d. Water strain
5. It is flow pattern where a fluid flows in concentric circles with no radial flow.
6. In an open channel flow (open channel refers to flows with free surface), what is the optimum channel shape for maximum flow rate?
b. Inverted triangle
d. All of the above
7. Which factor(s) affects the flow regime (laminar or turbulent) of a fluid in a pipe?
a. Material of the pipe
b. Viscosity of the fluid
c. Density of the fluid
d. Both a and b
e. A B and C are all factors
8. The greatest contributor to the head losses in pipes is…
b. Bends and corners
c. Length of pipe
d. Change in section
9. What will happen to the buoyant force if the density of the liquid is decreased?
c. remain the same
d. increase then decrease
10. For a partially immersed body, the point at which the line of action of the buoyancy force cuts the vertical centre line of the floating body in the displaced position is known as the…
c. center of pressure
Answers will be posted after a couple of days.