Here is the third set of review questions for Mechanical Engineer Board Exam in the topic: materials and heat treatment terms and elements.
1. A special alloy of lead and tin that is commonly used in bearing applications.
2. It is the load-bearing characteristics of a material under relative motion.
3. Annealing in such a way that some or all of the carbon is precipitated as graphite.
c. Age Hardening
d. Precipitation Hardening
4. It is used to designate the relatively soft central portion of certain hardened tool steels.
5. It is the prolonged heating of a metal at a selected temperature.
c. Age hardening
6. In heat treatment process, it is the critical or transformation point at which pearlite structure is transformed into austenite structure.
a. Recalescence point
b. Decalescence point
c. Incandescence point
d. Phosphorescence point
7. A case- hardening process whereby steel is heated in a carbon rich environment.
8. A term used to refer to the product of the blast furnace and is made by the reduction of iron ore.
a. Pig iron
b. Cast Iron
c. Nodular Cast iron
d. Wrought Iron
9. It is a type of steel that owes its distinctive properties chiefly to the carbon it contains.
a. Carburized Steels
b. Alloy Steels
c. Carbon steels
d. Cast Steel
10. It is the deterioration of a material or its properties due to its chemical reaction with the environment.
Answers can be found here.