September board exam for this year is coming fast. As you may have heard from your coaches and review center teachers, it’s time to focus on the terminologies in mechanical engineering. Terms commonly referred to as “elements” comprise the majority of questions given in Mechanical Engineering board exams. For this reason, I have prepared questions on the topic: Materials and Heat Treatment.
The questions were taken from commonly used Handbooks and Textbooks in Mechanical Engineering.
Instruction: Choose the BEST answer.
1. A term referring to steels that has been deoxidized completely.
a. Rimmed Steel
b. Killed steel
c. Deoxidized steel
d. Cold steel
2. Because of physical or chemical changes, some metals lose their ductility. What term refers to this process?
c. Red shortness
d. Cold shortness
3. This is a property of some materials that enables them to accommodate huge deformation without breaking/rupture.
4. A type of cast iron in which most of the Carbon is chemically combined with iron.
a. Nodular Cast
b. White Cast Iron
c. Pig Iron
d. Gray Iron
5. Substances that wear other substances that is softer than itself.
6. An aluminum ore.
7. The most commonly used material for springs.
a. Hard Drawn
b. Stainless Steel
d. Music wire
8. The referring to the brittleness of steel while it is red hot
a. Cold Shortness
b. Hot shortness
c. Red shortness
d. White Shortness
9. Materials that has the same properties in all directions.
a. Isotropic materials
b. Homogeneous materials
c. Heterogeneous materials
d. Orthotropic materials
10. Alloyed with steel, this material promotes fine grain structure and improved the ratio of endurance strength to ultimate strength.
Answers to be posted after 2 days.